Getting geared up for Dog Breeding is as important as getting geared up for every new project one starts professionally.
A smooth start to your pup’s new life with you begins by being properly prepared! Start by having the following check-list of useful equipment to on hand before she arrives at your door:
- Wire or plastic dog crate: This is for your puppy to sleep and rest. Line the bottom with a tough, washable bedding material. Consider or experiment with the best location to allow your pup to settle quietly and during its rest and sleep periods away from the hubbub of the family. Depending on your circumstances and your pup’s temperament that may mean bedding her away from the family, or close to the activity.
- Food and water dishes: Tip-proof, stainless steel are best.
- Collar and lead: Soft braided nylon, complete with ID Tag with your phone number.
- Grooming equipment: suited to your breed. This may include metal combs, detangling brushes, shampoo (pH balanced), sharp scissors and possibly electric clippers.
- Chew-discouraging spray: A safe spray-on product (e.g “Bitter Apple”) to discourage destructive and dangerous chewing on inappropriate objects such as immovable valuables like furniture legs and curtains.
- Blockade: A wire or wooden “baby gate” for blocking access to rooms you want to restrict your puppy from entering until she is more reliable and better trained.
Puppy-proof your home.
Puppies explore their environment in much the way toddlers do – by chewing and getting into everything! Be sure to remove hazardous items such as electric cords, and put valuables like your best running shoes or expensive rug out of harm’s way. Ensure there are no escape routes around your boundary fence big enough for a small puppy, and if you have a swimming pool, you may need to twitch wire mesh at the bottom of the pool fence so your puppy can’t get in and drown.
Visit your vet
Arrange for your veterinarian to give the puppy a complete checkup within 72 hours of your purchase to ensure no health problems have been overlooked. You may also elect to have her microchipped at this time.